Debian and the Linux Professional Institute (LPI)

In August, our representative with the Linux Professional Institute
(LPI) [1], Christoph Lameter [2], attended a LPI meeting held at the
LWE in San Francisco.  Additionally, I have had very fruitful
discussions with Evan Leibovitch, the president of LPI, since July.
I'd like to give a brief overview of what is going on.

First of all, a short introduction of the Linux Professional Institute
(LPI).  Quoting from their web site, LPI serves "in the interest of
increasing and supporting professional use of [free] software
throughout [the] world."  Specifically, they have developed several
Linux certifications which are very popular and recognized.

Christoph Lameter told me that more than 30,000 people have taken LPI
exams so far.  Evan Leibovitch added that in their 101 exam, "LPI
gives people the choice between being tested in either 'rpm' or 'dpkg'
installation systems."  Since they started doing this, about 5% of
people taking LPI exams have opted for the 'dpkg' questions.  This
percentage varies quite a bit, though.  For instance, it was closer to
25% in a recent exam lab LPI held in Sydney.

LPI is currently developing level III exams which will also include
system security.  The level III exams are developed on the exam-devel
mailing list at lpi.org and Debian developers interested in
participating in these discussions, to help shape these exams, are
welcome to subscribe to this list [3].

Furthermore, LPI is working on the development of a "Desktop
Certification".  The certification will focus on the use of office
applications under Linux.  Basics such as printing, word processing,
spreadsheets, as well as many other tasks, will be covered.
Discussions on how to go about to developing this certification are in
the initial stages.  Debian desktop people interested in this helping
develop this certification are encouraged to get in contact with me.

Finally, LPI will be present at the World Summit on the Information
Society (WSIS) [4, 5] which will take place in Geneva in December.
WSIS is a massive international conference which brings together
representatives from every country and thousands of non-governmental
organizations (NGOs) in order to encourage the adoption of consistent,
sustainable IT policies that protect rights and encourage commerce
while encouraging high standards and ethics.  LPI will be handing out
Linux CDs at this conference, and I have promised him that Debian will
supply an ISO image.  The Debian Non-Profit sub-project [6] is working
on a bootable live CD based on Morphix and I think this would be
ideally suited for WSIS.  Again, if you are interested in helping out,
get in contact with me.

I'm delighted to see more cooperation between Debian and LPI, and I
will definitely stay in contact with Evan and also put him in contact
with more Debian people.

[1] http://www.lpi.org/
[2] http://www.debian.org/misc/memberships