Re: Scary bugs

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 05:20:05PM -0800, Ryan Murray wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 12:23:02AM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
>
> Are these hwclock issues something that should be documented in Debian
> GNU/Linux System Administrator Manual, chapter 16. "Time"? The current
> incomplete version is available in Debian Documentation Project DDP
> web page.

I think so.  You need to add a notice of incompatibilities with a running
ntp in 16.2, as hwclock --systohc disables kernel RTC update IMHO.

Also, one thing I think should be documented in section 16 is the default
clock 'policy' set by the /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh script: RTC -> system clock
on startup, system clock -> RTC on shutdown. Probably calling the user
attention to the fact that updates solely to the RTC are lost on shutdown is
a good idea.

  Henrique Holschuh