About the Hamm Freeze (!)

The freeze of Hamm is about to become much more solid.  The installation
has been determined to be stable and now testing is proceeding to the
individual packages.  This will start with the testing of those marked
"essential" and work on down to those marked "standard".  Packages marked
"optional" or "extra" will not be tested (beyond installation) by the
testing group unless they are given more time simply because not all the
release-necessary bugs have been fixed.

This means two things...

1) We can now preprare for a "2.0-beta" release!

2) Uploads to "frozen" are soon to be _greatly_ restricted!  After the end
   of this week (May 15th), fixing bugs will no longer be sufficient to get
   a package installed into Hamm.  After that, only bug critical, grave, or
   important bug fixes are worthy.

The purpose of #2 is to avoid the introduction of new bugs where possible
and to keep the testing group from having to re-test packages they had
already done.  I'm sure many people will have small bug fixes that don't
introduce new bugs but I'm drawing the line where it is the clearest.  Hamm
has been frozen for 4 weeks now and there is still this week so there is no
excuse for not having those "simple fixes" already into the distribution.

If you'd like to help out, mailto:bhmit1@mail.wm.edu and ask to join the
testing effort.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )