Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 06:54:26AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 06:17:25PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> > * Michael Stone said:
> > > The bourne shell's return code is based on the return code of the last
> > > process run. Not a really reliable indicator...
> > And dynamic loader returns 127 in case dynamic bindings fail. That can be
> > used with much reliability for the test. Bash doesn't have such exit code.
>
> This is really getting tiresome. Try this:
>
> (from tcsh)
> sh
> perl -e 'exit 127'
> exit
> echo $?

Yes, I know.  There is no perfect way to figure this out, and if you have a
better suggestion I would love to hear it.  However, I don't think that the
assumption that if the login shell exits with an error code within a second
or two of starting up will happen in non-pathological cases -- certainly, if
you explicitly try to trigger it by logging in as root, typing that perl,
and then exiting, you might be able to do it quickly enough that you could
trigger the fallback shell.  However, this is unlikely enough that given the
inevitable compromise here (like I said, I'm fairly certain that it is
impossible to do "correctly"), I would consider it to be acceptable on my
box, and I think many other people would as well (please, remember, I don't
argue for necessarily forcing this on anyone).

-- Nathaniel