Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 01:13:52AM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> At any rate--your suggestion got me thinking, and there MAY be other
> possibilities here. All of them involve trade-offs:
>
>   #1-- sash could try harder to ensure that an "exec" succeeds before
>        it allows itself to exit. for example, instead of exec, it could
>        fork and exec, and then look for signs the new process was
>        healthy before quitting.

Signs such as...? You'd basically need to turn sash into a debugger so
that it could trap signals generated in a child process. I maintain that
doing so adds too much complexity to what is supposed to be an
_emergency shell_.

>   #2-- sash could stick around after an exec, and not actually exec at
>        all. it would quit if the exec'd process exits with a normal
>        error return, but it would reapper if the exec'd process exits
>        with an error for some reason. this could have subtle implications
>        which haven't occurred to me

The bourne shell's return code is based on the return code of the last
process run. Not a really reliable indicator...

>   #3-- instead of modifying sash, just run bash in your sash startup
>        script and check the return value yourself

As above.

Mike Stone