Re: The political decision about non-free

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:03:59PM +0000, Tom Badran wrote:
> On Monday 08 Mar 2004 19:22, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > The European Patent Office has accepted software patents for some time
> > now.  Perhaps they would fail a court case, but, as somebody said, do
> > you want us to be the test case?
>
> What europe has is quite different to the american system. There are no
> software patents as such, but sufficently complex inventions (including the
> algorithms used for mp3 as a specific example) are patentable just like any
> other invention. It basically means its very hard to flood the system with
> trivial patents like amazon and such do in the US, but genuine inventions are
> still protected under patent law. The bar for what is considered an invention
> is much, much higher essentially, and it prevents the patenting of 'business
> processes'.

Go and read some EU patents before you make a statement about them. On
my laptop (which I do not have nearby ATM), there's a sticker made by
the FFII which contains the patent number of the EU patent on
_progress_bars_. If that is "complex" by your standards, I'd like to see
what you call "easy".

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."