Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 15:05, David B Harris wrote:

> If they use adduser, it will abort with an error if a user with the
> given name already exists. If such happens, I wouldn't mind a debconf
> prompt asking me if I'd prefer using a different username.

Maybe, maybe not. Users can come from places besides /etc/passwd, and
those places may not yet be configured when the system is installed.

So, the conflicts will occur only after the system is installed, and at
that point it'll be too late to ask for a different username.

Perhaps Debian username should share some "namespace", like having
"debian-" in front of or behind them? I realize that'd be ugly, but it
should avoid conflicts.