Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 12:38:29PM +0100, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > The (3) part is not something that debian-desktop will do since it
> > boils down to modifying, at leisure, the system's configuration
> > (/etc directly, since there is not a single point of configuration,
> > debconf is not an option here).
>
> I'm not sure you can speak so categorically about this. Skolelinux has,
> in some ways AUIU, gone this route already.
>
> What we *can* do is find the ways that we, as a custom distribution,
> want to change the configuration files of other packages and then
> submit wishlist bugs with patches adding low-priority debconf
> questions with defaults set to the current behavior. Now the package
> need never even *ask* those questions!

However, we are currently viewing debconf as a way to do a _minimum_
configuration of packages. Debconf overuse is usually reported as a bug. We
don't want to use, as a distribution, a single point of configuration like
debconf. I might be wrong or things might have changed. Notice, also that
debconf is not even policy so package maintainers can still provide
interactive package installations that depend on user input w/o using
debconf.

> Now, when someone does a Custom Distro installation, they'll have a CD
> that is vanilla Debian plus some presets to fill the Debconf database
> with the values you want for your new debconf questions.

That would be great, but I'm not sure if debconf is the way to go here. We
haven't even decided on forcing its use to maintainers! [1]

Regards

Javi

[1] Policy (3.10.1 Prompting in maintainer scripts) says "should" not
"must", so not using debconf for interactive installations is a bug, but
not an RC bug.