Re: udev 0.3 package

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:31:10 +0000, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Oct 19, Norbert Tretkowski <tretkowski@inittab.de> wrote:
>
>  >> http://www.bofh.it/~md/debian/
>  >Any plans for an upload to unstable?
> I'd like to know first if it works or not and how much useful it is in
> its current form, as I currently do not own any hot-pluggable device and
> cannot test it.

devfs does replace makedev. udev does not. you still need an initial
makedev run to create many devices, because most of them are not exported
via sysfs.

greg claims a devfs like naming scheme is possible and he asks for a
patch, I claim it is not possible, as /sys/block/ does not show whether
a block device is part of a disc, a floppy or a cdrom.

also, did you fix the permissions? default permissions are mode 0666.
devfs exports type (block/char) and a sane default permission for every
device. sysfs does not, so udev doesn't have that information.

Regards, Andreas