Re: MEI Whitelist Autoresponse

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:20:49PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:03:37AM -0700, Adam McKenna (adam@flounder.net) wrote:
>
> > Also, I don't have any hard data to support this, but it's obvious to
> > me that the volume of mail generated by virus scanners in response to
> > Sobig.f eclipses the volume of TMDA challenges by at least a factor of
> > 10.  So far, I haven't received *one* TMDA challenge that was due to
> > Sobig, but I've received *hundreds* of messages from virus scanners
> > all over the net.
> >
> > So, I guess we should add virus scanners to the list of verboten
> > software.
>
> My own inbox supports this statement.  140 responses to Sobig.F mails,
> of which 43 are virus or other content-based autoresponders, and 97
> being delivery failure messages or other autoresponders (e.g.:  ISP help
> desk).

How many were challenges from mailing list software?  Yes, another class of
software that automatically issues challenges (specifically, to new
subscriptions and to non-list members if the list is closed).  So I guess you
should also file bugs against majordomo, mailman, ezmlm-src, and any other
mailing list managers that do this.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>