Re: solved (was Re: project/experimental)

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:22:10PM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
>
> > [...problem installing XFree86-4.3.0-0pre1v1...]
> >
> > I needed:
> >
> > --- apt.conf ---
> > APT::Default-Release "experimental";
> > ---
> > (from a post to -user by Greg Folkert)
> >
> > It doesn't look like this is documented anywhere, anymore?
> >
> > Used to be in apt_preferences(5), from:
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01076.html
>
> It's documented in apt-get(8) and has been for as long as it has existed.

[Matt points me to --default-release docs off-list]

Two things: project/experimental is not a release, so it is not
obvious that Default-Release is the way to handle it; APT treats p/e
as special, which is not documented -- without explicit pinning
(pinning is essentially what Default-Release does) APT wants to
install the highest version it can, unless that version happens to
come from p/e.

I think this should be documented somewhere; perhaps in Developer's
Reference 4.6.4.3, since the APT team doesn't seem to think it should
be in APT's docs.

- Bruce