Re: How to Avoid GPL Issue

Le ven 27/06/2003 à 04:27, G. C. a écrit :
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> Currently we are trying to port some third party code to Linux kernel. Some
> modules of third party code need to be ported into Linux kernel and some
> drivers need to be ported from Vxworks to Linux drivers. The problem we have
> is that this third party does not allow us to publicize its code as Linux
> GPL requires.
>
> Is there any approach that we can avoid publicizing the third party code
> while porting to Linux? Do we need to write some shim layer code in Linux
> kernel to interface the third party code? How can we do that? Is there any
> document or samples?

It is impossible. To say more, it is *meant* to be impossible.

But this third party should also be aware that putting her code under
the GPL is not giving it completely away : it guarantees them the code
won't be used in another proprietary product, and it will bring them
back the community enhancements and bugfixes.

They can also release the information needed for writing these drivers.
Some developers will generally accept to write the driver themselves.

Or they can also do like Nvidia and ignore the GPL restrictions, but it
is just tolerated in this single case by Linus Torvalds, and may not be
in other cases.