Re: CGI:IRC on Debian

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 14:28, Guilherme de S. Pastore wrote:
> Hello people! =)
>
> I became a maintainer recently, when I took the prozilla package from Gustavo Noronha Silva (kov), a few days ago. I am now trying to finish my second Debian Package: cgiirc.
>
> Unfortunately, the program puts all its files in the same directory, causing problems with the FHS. I contacted the upstream author, asking for changes, and even offering myself to do the job.
>
> I got surprised when I received his response, telling me he wanted the program to be entirely coded by him, following his own coding style, but he wouldn't do anything by now.

I said what? I hadn't replied at all until a few minutes ago when
someone mentioned this post on IRC..

My main concern is keeping CGI:IRC easy to install for people who just
want to be able to install it easily as a user and simply saying upload
all these files into your cgi-bin directory works well. Nor have I ever
been particularly convinced that system-wide CGI scripts are a good
idea..

However I'd be happy to apply a patch which puts the locations of the
modules and so on into the config file..

> I think I'm going to release the first version of the package "dodging" the problem with sym links, and start changing the code from the second release on, if I don't get a better answer from him.

A better workaround I can think of is simply adding to the top of each
script:
BEGIN { chdir("/usr/lib/cgiirc") }
(Assuming /usr/lib/cgiirc is the right place to put
modules/interfaces/formats) and then adjust the path to the
configuration file that is used (to /etc/cgiirc.config or whatever)..

> What do you all think I should do?

Get your facts right first ;)