Re: Every spam is sacred

On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 11:26 US/Eastern, Mathieu Roy wrote:

Economic sanctions can kill more people than a war. I let you judge
for yourself whether it's obviously a "non violent act" or not.

Generally, they're not, because they are enforced through violence. If, for example, I try to trade (or visit, or much anything) with Cuba, against my country's embargo, they will stop me by force. That's certainly violence.

OTOH, if I voluntarily refuse to trade with someone, or an organization voluntarily refuses to trade with someone, that's not. Sure, if enough people decide to do that, the other party might be in trouble. But I don't find anything wrong with that.