Re: Every spam is sacred

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:55, John Hasler wrote:
> Russell Coker writes:
> > I think it's more like economic sanctions.  No-one changes ISP out of
> > fear, they do so out of a practical desire to get their mail delivered.
>
> Unless they have one and only one ISP available.

In which case they can use Hotmail or one of the other WebMail systems.

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:44, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > I think it's more like economic sanctions.
>
>         And we know they work wonderfully well, don't we? After all,
>  economic sanctions made Cuba a democracy, and abolished the need for
>  military action in Iraq.

They don't work in a dictatorship, in such cases most people would probably
prefer a different government (or a different country to live in) if given a
choice.

People do change ISPs based on issues such as the effectiveness of spam
blocking and whether the ISP is blocked.  Little things like failures of
reverse DNS due to a butt-head upstream will make customers start threatening
to change ISP when their mail is blocked.

In the early days most mail servers did not have correct reverse DNS, there
was no real need for it and most administrators did not know how to do it
properly.  Now most mail servers have correct forward and reverse DNS which
match and they use a correct name in the HELO/EHLO command because of these
issues.

If you want to run a business profitably then you have to do whatever it takes
to keep the customers happy.  If some of the customers are spammers and
there's nothing to stop them then it's most profitable to keep the spammers
happy (as some ISPs have done).  If making spammers happy makes all the other
customers unhappy then they stop servicing the spammers.

It works.

PS  The reiserfs mailing list is now being reconfigured to reduce spam because
of SpamCop...