Re: Packaging very large i18n material

Re: Re: [devel] Packaging very large i18n material [John Gay <jgay@celestica.com>, Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 04:52:17AM +0100, <[🔎] OF40FD4238.E2E84481-ON80256D40.001443EE@ca-chq.celestica.com>]
> >2) Build 37 different koffice-i18n-lang binary packages (like kde-i18n).
> This is the lessor of the 4 evils, but it might be possible to simplify a
> little? Several languages are related to some degree. Maybe if the
> languages could be grouped. I.E. the different asian languages would
> include the various chinese and japanese localizations, the spanish group
> could include the different variations like brazilian, mexican etc. I'm no
> language expert, but I think this might reduce the number of different
> packages to a more managable number, and still reduce the download times to
> within reasonable limits.

But them, this will probably confuse users a lot. Imagine that several
packages will do this, and each time I will have to find out which
"language group" I'm in. If you are going to do this, please try to
propose some kind of standard so that other packages use the same
grouping scheme.

I could think of a more well-structured system: One should add the
possibility that a package recommends "foobar-i18n-$LANG", and $LANG
could be set up in dselect (or something equivalent). (Order of
preference, whether to install one or more languages of choice...)
Then users would not have to go through very long i18n package lists.

I don't think it's too bad to clutter up the archives, because small
packages is a good point about Debian. If there are too many packages,
tools should handle this instead, e.g. by collapsing all
koffice-i18n-lang packages into a sub-menu.

I'd package 37 different packages, because 21MB would be too much.
(I'm not familiar with koffice, but from browsing the archive, it seems
that koffice itself is much smaller.)

Oh, by the way: in Brazil, they speak Portugese.

Christoph
--
Christoph Berg <cb@cs.uni-sb.de>, 0681/9657944
http://rw4.cs.uni-sb.de/~cb/