Re: Please notify the maintainers when removing packages

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 02:13:23PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Also, do you not think the users of the package deserve to know that
> there is problem with a given package ?

I suspect that packages don't get removed just for the fun of it, but
because they have release-critical bugs, which are documented in the
BTS. I mean, *sheesh*, having release-critical bugs *is* the
notification that a package will get removed from testing before the
release, should the maintainer not fix those bugs.

> I think the correct solution to this is to fill a bug report stating
> the about to be removed or something such of the package, so that both
> the maintainer get informed and also the user who cares about the
> package.

I don't think this is useful.

> Or do we not say in our social contract that we will not hide problems
> ?
  ^
(Another example why seperating question marks with whitespace is bad.)

Anyway, please don't put down the social contract by invoking it
randomly when you think others don't agree with you.

> Maybe an explicative mail of the situation to the maintainer/BTS, and
> asking for feedback on the problem and/or orphaning the package would be
> a good solution don't you think.

The correct solution is to FIX THE BUGS, either by removing the package
from testing, or by doing (Non-)Maintainer-Uploads fixing them, period.

still friendly,

Michael

--
"If you need to use statistics, then you should design a better
experiment"