Re: Porting packages to use po-debconf for debconf template translation management

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 12:47:11PM -0300, Andre Luis Lopes wrote:

> I'm going to start providing patches for package maintainers which
> aren't using po-debconf for managing debconf template translations yet
> (actually, I already provided a couple of them).

> I'm wondering if, in addition to changing packages debian/control file to
> Build-Depends/Build-Depends-Indep on debhelper (>= 4.1.16), I should
> declare a dependency on po-debconf also. If that's the case, which
> version of po-debconf they should depends preferably ?

> Should packages instead depends on the newer (as of debhelper 3.4.4
> per debhelper's changelog) {misc:Depends} substvar variable ? Will it
> correctly pull po-debconf ?

> I'm also concerned about backports. I have the impression that changing
> packages to use po-debconf will actually make things worse for
> backporters trying to make packages build correclty on Woody.

> Could someone give me some hints on how should I proceed ?

Use of po-debconf does not require a dependency, only a build-dependency;
the binary packages contain merged templates files as before, and these
files require only a current version of debconf to be used correctly.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer