Porting packages to use po-debconf for debconf template translation management

Hi,

I'm going to start providing patches for package maintainers which
aren't using po-debconf for managing debconf template translations yet
(actually, I already provided a couple of them).

I'm wondering if, in addition to changing packages debian/control file to
Build-Depends/Build-Depends-Indep on debhelper (>= 4.1.16), I should
declare a dependency on po-debconf also. If that's the case, which
version of po-debconf they should depends preferably ?

Should packages instead depends on the newer (as of debhelper 3.4.4
per debhelper's changelog) {misc:Depends} substvar variable ? Will it
correctly pull po-debconf ?

I'm also concerned about backports. I have the impression that changing
packages to use po-debconf will actually make things worse for
backporters trying to make packages build correclty on Woody.

Could someone give me some hints on how should I proceed ?

Regards,

--
||  André Luís Lopes                   andrelop@ig.com.br               ||