Re: Checking init.d script for policy compliance.

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:10:39AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2003, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > I have found that a lot of init.d scripts fails to implement policy
> > properly.
>
> Post a list of packages (or files) to d-devel & d-qa as a starting point,
> please.

Fair enough. Note that this is a very casual check, and that
I have very few init.d script in my sid chroot. Sorry for all
the errors. (* denote woody packages)

Wrong message:
*apmd.

Wrong restart behavior when not running:
atd cron klogd syslogd *ntpd

Wrong exit status when stopped but not running
inetd lpd nfs-common portmap ssh *pdnsd *exim *gpm *lprng

Wrong exit status when started but already running
*pdnsd *lprng

My wish is that all init.d scripts behave the same in all situation,
including 0 or 1 exit status, handling of corner case, messages, etc...
We are far from that currently.

I realize that 'Wrong exit status when stopped but not running' can be
controversial, but if you enoxerate these packages, you need to bu the
others...

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>