[desktop] RFC: Needed Initiative for Debian-Desktop: Module Autorebuilder

Kernel Security Disaster Scenario:
	1. User running a stable server, no build tools installed.
	2. Serious security breach detected in version A.B.X. Script-kiddies
abound.
	3. Security update made and released as A.B.X+1 that was scheduled for
release that day anyway.
	4. User apt-get install's new kernel, reboots.
	5. Kernel vulnerability fixed, but server is offline: mystery
propriatary network module M is now broken. Module maintainer still
asleep, and noone wants to step on toes by NMU'ing a module that has
been faithfully maintained by the author.
	6. Disgruntled user mutters something about Gentoo (despite not having
any clue about actually how to build something if he needed too), and
drives to home/work/school to fix the problem from the keyboard.

Serious problem there. Less serious things happen because of the module
situation. We are all well aware that wavelan, lirc, ftpfs, etc, should
be provided for every stable kernel ASAP. I think that a team should be
assembled to create a system that will at least attempt to
automagically build all kernel modules for all archs on which they are
known to work, and the various optmized i386 "archs".

Any thoughts on this matter? I think this is something that needs to be
done to make Debian a viable desktop staple. I by no means have the time
or ability to do such a thing.

Thanks for read'n,
Rob