Re: should I orphan linux-wlan-ng?

On Monday 24 March 2003 09:50 am, Joey Hess wrote:
> So, I have a little quirk. I don't do things in technically wrong ways,
> even if it is how everyone else does it. I'm sure that I do things in my
> packages that someone can point at and see as technically wrong, but I
> do have my standard, and I would rather orphan a package than be stuck
> maintaining something I feel is not good.
>
> Please read bug #184899 and if enough people feel that I am completly
> off-base in this, I will just orhapan linux-wlan-ng (and apt-src since I
> will have no incentive to keep working on it -- I wrote it so I could
> have the possbility of packaging modules packages in a way I was
> comfortable with), and someone else can do whatever they like with it.

Please continue maintaining linux-wlan-ng and apt-src. I completely agree that
having the same sources in the archive twice is wasteful and technically
inferior to using apt-src. apt-src has the potential to pull lots of users
from Gentoo and other source-based distros which have become popular in the
last couple years.

As long as binary packages are provided for the shipped kernels, I don't see a
problem. People who don't care to learn about compiling and patching kernels
can install and go. People who hasve already taken the time to build their
own kernel and modules should have no problem picking up apt-src. I also see
that apt-src and linuxi-wlan-ng are in sid/sarge and not in woody. Any user
who is willing to move to testing/unstable should be willing to deal with the
problems and changes that arise in that situation.

I would like to see better documentation for apt-src/linux-wlan-ng, as it was
not terribly clear when I played with it last. That was quite a while ago, so
the situation may have improved.

I do think that we should eventuall phase out all the source-binary packages
in favor of using apt-src; a transition period of a release or two should be
sufficient.

--
Komm auf meine Sonnenbarke!