Re: should I orphan linux-wlan-ng?

>> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:20:22 -0500,
>> David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> said:

 > There's actually no technical reason that you need source binary
 > packages to do this.

 > I'm actually somewhat curious to hear how apt-src changes the world
 > in this case.

	Well. The -source packages solve at least 3 issues, one of
 which you noted.

	a) The availability issue: -source packages are .debs, and
	   are bundled on binary CD's, and are avaliable even in
	   low/bad bandwidth environments when installing from a CD
        b) The access issue: source packages are handled seamlessly by
           apt-get and dselect and aptitude and friends; and are
           easily installed along with other packages
        c) The source package may be pre massaged (including .config
           file as a sample in kernel sources, for example), or
           trimmed (make-kpkg has hooks you can run to trim the
           sources as you wish).

	apt-src partially solves issue b. It provides a nice frontend
 to manage source packages with equal facilty as binary packages; and,
 eventually, one hopes the functionality would be merged into a common
 front end like aptitude.

	apt-src also prevents duplication inherent in the -source
 package solution; and also the bandwidth requirements for the
 repositories.

	I still consider a) to be important; c is nice, but not critical.

	manoj
--
Oh hell.  Six bells and all's well.  Another week in my little gray
cell. Another week in which to excel.  Oh hell, sir. A West Point