Re: should I orphan linux-wlan-ng?

Hi All!

On 2003 Mar 24, Eric Dorland wrote:
> Joey, you're not crazy. apt-src is an excellent tool and in my opinion
> a much better way of doing things than source packages. So keep doing
> what you're doing, I'd be sorry to see it go away.

I'm like to compile my own kernel. I do this because I have some special patch
(tproxy for example) what I must aply. And I like to try experimental kernels too
(ie. 2.5.X).

But I want to use my dxr3 card, using alsa for sound, using lmsensors for checking
health of my computer.

So, what I do?

I compile the kernel with make-kpkg.

And then I compile the extra modules with make-kpkg too. It's set the include
path correctly, and so on.
No other tools do this.

But if I want to use it, the modules must be in /usr/src/modules directory.

And what the sources packages do? Uncompress the files into this directory.

So, when we talk about _kernel_ _modules_ I deeply need source packages.
But not in other situations.

--
PGP ID 0x8D143771, /C5 95 43 F8 6F 19 E8 29  53 5E 96 61 05 63 42 D0
GPG ID   ABA0E8B2, 45CF B559 8281 8091 8469  CACD DB71 AEFC ABA0 E8B2

I refused to attend his funeral. But I wrote a very nice letter
explaining that I approved of it. -- Mark Twain