Re: [Moshe Zadka <m@moshez.org>] Independent Count

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:02, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:
> > During the voting period you might not expect the secretary to express
> > their opinions so clearly in public.
>
> Added secrecy does little to remove corruption, and much to strengthen
> it.  Certainly in a volunteer organization like Debian, anyone holding
> political office is likely to have strong views about how the politics
> should be run.

I'm not suggesting secrecy.  I'm just suggesting that having a public
arguement with someone when you are counting votes for them is not good
practise.

> > The people who count votes at government elections are not supposed to be
> > affiliated with any party or do anything to affect the outcome of the
> > election.
> >
> > Maybe we should have a similar policy for our elections?
>
> Really?  Most elections over here have people representing each
> candidate present and involved in the count.  They only see anonymized
> ballots, of course.

Having observers from all parties involved in the count is a common practise.
In most countries those observers don't do the actual counting or touch the
votes, are you certain that representatives of candidates are allowed to be
involved in the count?