Re: [desktop] Improving "user-friendly" in some console applications

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:24:11 -0500, Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> wrote:

> --GinsN7d7xEiEJaaA
>
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Jean-Michel Kelbert wrote:
>> For exemple, on Mandrake less permit him to show html, tar.gz... not
>> on Debian.
>
> This is done by setting the LESSOPEN and/or LESSCLOSE env. variables.
>
> Read /usr/share/doc/less/LESSOPEN for information on how to set this up.
>
> As far as making it the default, Thomas has (apparently) decided not
> to, and I agree. I routinely use less to look at raw gzip files and
> other odd files, and I suppose others do also.

I can't see any reason not to make this a configurable option (via
debconf) with the default set to no and with medium priority perhaps,
making sure it can be switched on and off using

dpkg-reconfigure less

That is what debconf is for, after all (or so I understand). Is there
some technical reason (policy or whatever) why this is not possible or
desirable? Personally, I find it a drag having to change this manually
on every system I set up.

                                                      Faheem.