Re: [desktop] Improving "user-friendly" in some console applications

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 10:29:35PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 05:04:20PM -0500, Jean-Michel Kelbert wrote:
> > Another example which put him into problem, was to find how vim can
> > restart on the line where it was, before quitting.
>
> Having that as the default is really evil, because as far as I can tell
> it's impossible to turn it *off* (at least cleanly) from a user's
> .vimrc. It should just be an example for those who want it. I ranted
> about this a bit in #165685.

This is recurring theme on Debian.

It is bad to have too much default settings but what is too much depends
on the user.

If Debian wish to be really universal,
 * language choice
 * standard default value set policy (barebone, moderate, tutorial)
 * documentation package / manual package install
should be selected by the policy choice for package installer.  Until
the day comes to the package system which can do these, I guess current
barebone with commented-out tutorial settings are good.

Tutorial for the system configuration belongs to user reference manuals.

But if "flavor" distribution (-edu, -med, -newbie) is allowed, maybe we
can allow one policy violating package which reconfigure all other
packages to the required state for usability.  (May be too messy but
somewhat practical.)

Osamu
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract