Re: Is qt really free ?

On Friday 14 March 2003 18:07, Mario Carugno wrote:
> Hi, i'm considering develop some things for Debian
> using Qt, but i wan't to know if Qt is really free.
> I'm not sure now, since i've read that Qt has a
> 'professional edition' wich is comercial, and the
> version in Linux is the 'free edition'.

Apart from what others already said, there's another thing which I'd like to
suggest: assuming you release under the GPL, explicitly exclude Qt from the
requirement to conform. The advantage would be that your program would also
be distributable to users that don't have access to a free version. Without
it, I couldn't e.g. build it under win32 and distribute it in binary form.

Disclaimer: maybe my explanations above are not 100% correct, I don't claim I
fully understand the issue. I think Qt-related newsgroups or mailinglists
might do a better job.

Uli