Re: Need help with patch for broken IDE-tape driver

On Saturday 11 January 2003 20:15, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
>
> * Frans Pop [Sat, Jan 11 2003, 07:45:15PM]:
> > After upgrading from Potato to Woody (kernel version 2.4.18), I have had
> > problems making backups to my CONNER CTT8000-A (IDE-tape drive; Travan
> > TR-4 compatible). During verify and restore operations I get an error
> > message "Unexpected EOF in archive".
>
> Did you try the equivalent SCSI driver over the ide-scsi -Emulation.
>
> Gruss/Regards,
> Eduard.

Thank you for your reaction. I had not tried SCSI-driver yet, but I have now.
Results are somewhat mixed.

When I do 'insmod ide-scsi' the drive is recognized:
   SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
   scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
     Vendor: CONNER    Model: CTT8000-A         Rev: 2.08
     Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
   Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

When I do 'mt -f /dev/st0', I get:
   drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
   drive status = 1157628416
   sense key error = 0
   residue count = 0
   file number = -1
   block number = -1
   Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x45 (QIC-3095).
   Soft error count since last status=0
   General status bits on (1010000):
    ONLINE IM_REP_EN
but also the following message in log:
   st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
   Additional sense indicates Invalid command operation code

When I do 'tar cvf /dev/st0 --verify *', a backup is made but without verify
but again the following message in log:
   st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
   Additional sense indicates Invalid command operation code

When I try 'tar xvf /dev/st0 *', a good restore is made but I get stderr:
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
   tar: Too many errors, quitting
The exit-status from the restore is 2 and again the following message in log:
   st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
   Additional sense indicates Invalid command operation code

I see lots of similar problems in Google (sadly did not find any solutions),
so looks as if ide-scsi driver is broken also. Does anyone know the status?

TIA again,

Frans Pop