Re: How to ask for a virtual package (Was: suggested virtual package name: dns-server)

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:17:55AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> last year I asked for a virtual package web-browser or a more fine grained
> approach
>
>      web-browser-textmode
>      web-browser-graphical
>
> The discussion just stoped and we did not found a real decision.  Because
> there were no real reasons *against* those virtual packages I would like
> to know now what I would have to do to implement this because things only
> happen if someone just does it.
>
> So which package / document will I have to patch or bugreport or just
> what to do to get it implemented?

You should move to debian-policy list for this: new virtual packages require
a (little) policy change. Essentially, you need to find agreement
with all maintainers whose pkgs need to be modified.
You have to send a [PROPOSAL] bug to meta pkg debian-policy, convince
all them that your proposal is right and good, then change bug
title in [ACCEPTED].
After this, wait next release of policy. Then, you could also severe bug
pkgs which do not respect the new policy.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine