Re: kernel-image-2.4.19-i386-udeb-2.4.19

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:38:17PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Building them again seems stupid, wasteful of CPU resources, and prone
> > to error (eg. building with slightly different configuration).
>
> In this case, is it possible to make kernel-image-2.4.19-i386 build both
> deb and udeb ? That would be the easier...

It use to do that, but no longer does.

I am not absolutely certain of Herbert's reason here, but I think
it was a very good decision.

The big benifits I see having them split apart is:
a) you can generate udeb files from any kernel you may have built,
   not just Herbert's kernel.
b) you can change the udeb packages, which files they include, etc.
   without having to rebuild all kernels. This is a huge saving in
   CPU time.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>