Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 04:58:30PM -0500, David B Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:58:51 -0500
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> > The comparison is only fair with organizations that *want* you do do
> > so(so not redhat, probably not openbsd, or mandrake, or others whose
> > principal developers try to sell cds).
>
> Strictly speaking, given the ISO mirroring situation, we've never wanted
> people to use full 640M ISOs when we knew that 99% of people downloading
> would use a couple hundreds megs, at most.

"Given the ISO mirroring situation"? Care to elucidate?

I seem to remember seeing several offers of machines and bandwidth recently.
It would seem to make sense to at least make it relatively easy for mirror
admins who *do* have the available resources to provide ISO images.

Even a single, reliable, possibly rate-limited, source for ISOs would be
an improvement on what we currently have.

Rate-limiting the source would, if necessary, provide a disincentive to
people who would otherwise just jump in and download ISOs rather than using
Jigdo.

Cheers,

Nick

--