Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 Branden> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:56:53PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> This is precisely the kind of sarcastic, contentless rejoinder
 >> that makes one inclined to dismiss posts from you as
 >> irrelevant.

 Branden> The responsibility for prejudice lies with the person who practices it.

 >> Mistating the opposition viewpoint in a fashion, reducing it to
 >> riducule, is not conducive to any kind of discussion, far less a
 >> healthy one.

 Branden> But it is conducive to humor and a reduction in tension[1],
 Branden> and I don't attempt to pass my jokes off as serious
 Branden> statements in any event.

	When people are still passionately engaged in serious
 dialogue, reducing their position to one of ridicule is indeed
 hurtful. Especially since you take it to every thread, and pull at
 the scabs of arguments and flames not yet healed, and push, push,
 push, push at people until they break, while you stand laughing on
 the sidelines.

	This may well be funny to you, but does not feel so good to
 the victims.

	manoj
--
 U.S. of A.: "Don't speak to the bus driver." Germany: "It is strictly
 forbidden for passengers to speak to the driver." England: "You are