Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 02:09:17PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:10:40PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
>
> > Gentoo's growth is a sign that they are doing something right, if we cant
> > even recognise that fact then its pointless continuing this conversation.
>
> Microsoft's growth is a sign that they are doing something right, if we cant
> even recognise that fact then its pointless continuing this conversation.
>
> Translation: they may be doing what is right for them, if their goals are to
> attract the users that they are successfully attracting, but not necessarily
> what is right for us.

But that's clearly hogwash.  We must have growth for its own sake, hence
the horror that breaks over people in waves whenever someone proposes
that Debian stop distributing non-free software.

There is no "what's right for you"!  There is only growth and
popularity!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     One man's "magic" is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     engineering.  "Supernatural" is a