RE: orphaning my packages

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Langasek [mailto:vorlon@netexpress.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 11:41 AM
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: orphaning my packages

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 10:43:32AM +1100, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> > But this is upside down!  An advocate is someone who has worked with

> > the applicant, and can vouch first-hand for his fitness to become a
> > DD.  How would requesting an advocate on debian-mentors fit with
> > that?  Is the applicant in question not actually involved with
> > Debian work yet, or do none of the people he's worked with feel he
> > should be a DD (!)?

> From what I understand, asking for an advocate on debian-mentors is
> not asking for someone to blindly say "yep, let them in" no questions
> asked.

> It's asking for someone to take the time to work through issues with
> the applicant to make sure they have a handle on the requirements of
> the job. Having spent time with them (in person or not) the advocate
> should have a feeling for the fitness of that applicant to proceed (or

> not).

>I'm questioning whether it's ever appropriate to ask for an advocate in
a public forum.  An advocate should by definition >be someone who is
already familiar with the applicant's work in Debian.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

Asking for an advocate on debian-mentors is akin >to walking into a
crowded room and asking, "Will someone here be my friend?" -- effective
at attracting attention, but >>>doesn't necessarily get you where you're
trying to go any quicker. :)

90% true is something like that as I feel but better way is to work with
your advocate quite some times and get to know them then you have the
1:1 relationship. what do you think?
But to find a project to do is not that easy as I feel.. If any body
have and idea of "how to help developers topic" drop a line on that I'll
help to newbie's like us to get in to debian

Thanks
Chanka perera