can a non developper become a debian maintainer ?

Hi all,

I have a simple question : can a non developper type become a debian
maintainer ? The reason is that I use debian on multiple servers and
workstations, and I'd like to contribute to the project. I'm
definitely not a developper, more a sysadmin. I know debian quite
well. I can also compile, install, and manage non packaged software,
and occasionnaly find and correct some small or obvious bugs. But I
couldn't really develop anything big, or tackle real big bugs (but
then these are more upstream's task than debian's).

I have been searching for something to do that would keep me committed
for a long time, which involves that I actually have a real use for my
contribution, and recently found it. I could start soon to use a
software package which is not yet packaged for debian. And to do
things cleanly, I would like to package it, and add it to debian.

Now is it worth applying as NM or is it completely out of touch with
reality ? If it turns out to be possible, I'll file an ITP, otherwise
an RFP :-)

Thanks for your input,
--
Rémi