Re: DMA, ide-scsi, devfs by default

BTW: i also remember having read that certain hardware doesn't work with
ide-scsi, so enabling ide-scsi for all IDE hardware is a bad choice.
(i think one of the boot-floppies people tried using ide-scsi by
default, and got some problem reports)
And additional drawback IMHO is the following: devfs is really nice, and
it's nice to see /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 - but with ide-scsi i also get
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1 ... 6 for different "luns" of my ide writer...
i havn't yet understood why they are created... it's kind of unintuitive
to have 7 nodes for my cd writer and 1 for my cd+dvd player... )

We also should watch what 2.5 will bring... now it seems like the IDE
redesign was reverted, but maybe it will come again or yet another
different approach. Maybe these kernels will be DMA-Enabled by default.
I think there is an option to enable DMA by default for certain chipsets
already - probably the ones where it is safe...

I like devfs very much, btw - but there were race conditions and such
stuff in there before, so the current state of devfs should be checked.
But if it is reliable i would recommend using it. It makes lot of things
much easier and probably is much more intuitive for beginners as well.
(just thinking of /dev/discs/disc0/part1 and /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 )

Greetings,
Erich

--
        erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)        --        GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C
             The best things in life are free: Friendship and Love.