Re: Convenient way to enable IDE DMA

On Monday 26 August 2002 12:45 pm, Nate Eldredge wrote:
> As for hdparm, this is complicated with ide-scsi.  For ide-scsi to work
> you have to make the ide-cd module ignore the scsi-ified drive.  In which
> case /dev/hdc or whatever it is won't work until you have loaded the
> ide-scsi module, perhaps by touching /dev/scd0.  So at least in my setup,
> further complications are needed.

Be warned, ide-scsi resets the using_dma flag when it's loaded. This is an
even bigger problem with devfs, because after ide-cd is unloaded there is no
/dev/hd? node to feed hdparm. The only workaround I've found so far is to
create a temporary device node, /tmp/hdd, load ide-scsi, and `hdparm -d 1
/tmp/hdd'.

Oh, you can get some pretty decent improvements with `hdparm -c 1' as well.
It toggles 12/32-bit IDE transfer modes, and isn't reset by ide-scsi.

Found all this out trying to get my new PlexWriter 40/12/40a 40x CD-RW drive
to burn discs full speed.

--
"das ist liebe, das ist hass / mit eifersucht vermahlen"