Re: Dock Apps packaging, round 2

Le ven 23/08/2002 à 22:31, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry a écrit :

> And as I told Josselin when he started this -- so what.  Let the old school
> group complain all they want.  I have always enjoyed that Debian's developers
> are also its users and largely we are user driven.  If I want to package
> something I will, even if it is small and simple.
>
> We have a beautiful packaging system which supports tasks and meta packages
> and we should use it.

We can use meta packages for those packages, it would even be simpler
for me. But it has two drawbacks : first, users will have lots of little
packages installed, making things unclear ; also, they probably won't
deinstall packages they don't use. (These are only suppositions, but I
don't think our average user takes care of 3 MB of unused packages.) So
little packages are advantages for some users, but mainly a pain for
some other users.
Second, there is the famous... TADA ! Packages file size !
While this shouldn't be a limit for what we package, we can't increase
its size indefinitely. This one of the reasons why the gnome applets
were put in a single package. I think the dockapps problem is a good
example to think about what to do with the Packages file : we can "save"
tens of packages by using bundles, or increase their number by a score.
So we have to decide now what to do : either we begin to save some
packages to avoid a too big Packages file, or we find NOW another way of
downloading the debs list. If we keep the things the way they are going,
APT will probably be unusable in sarge+1.

Greetings,