Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 06:17:43PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > Whats wrong with linking /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab?
> >
> > Only problem is with loopback since umount won't free the loopback
> > device. But that could be fixed with a kernel change.
>
> This is an old discussion, but we shouldn't be expecting:

Any solutions apart from "do/chgange nothing" in those old discussions?

>         1) kernel developers to make changes just for us

I'm willing to work on that since I use a /etc/mtab link and get hit
by the problem I build boot-disks. Its somewhere on my to-do list but
with sarge release so far away pretty far down the list.

Alternatively a /var/state/mount or something might be the right[tm]
way to store state information about mounts.

>         2) users to have to run OUR kernel (if WE change it)

Debian doesn't enforce / RO but it also shouldn't enforce / RW.

Alowing for a /proc/mounts file that is sufficient to replace
/etc/mtab is a good thing in my eyes. People who wan't / RO can then
just use that option to their kernel and add the neccessary link.

> It all sounds like a change just to be making changes.

Quite a lot of people have made the change to / and /usr RO so its
more of a question of fixing the bugs that change produces.

MfG
        Goswin