Re: Shouldn't desktop environments use *term -ls? (Re: The best recommendation [...])

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 09:16:34AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 09:34, Manfred Wassmann wrote:
> > Either pam_env.so isn't run or it doesn't work.

> I suspect (but haven't checked) in some window managers that PAM
> authentication occurs in a separate process (like the new feature in
> sshd).

> Hence any changes PAM modules make to the current process will be
> discarded when the authentication process exits.

> If this is the case, its not really a bug, more just another limitation
> in PAM.

PAM is not supposed to modify the process's environment directly, but
rather set variables in an internal pam 'envlist'.  It is the
application's responsibility to query the contents of this envlist at
the end of a successful authentication, and set those variable's in the
process's environment as appropriate.

It is a bug for a PAM-enabled application to not handle this.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer