Re: Shouldn't desktop environments use *term -ls? (Re: The best recommendation [...])

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> If the display manager supports PAM, as I think all display managers
> currently in woody do, then pam_env.so will have been run well before
> the terminal emulators are started.  Therefore -ls is overkill.

Simple answer: No

Either pam_env.so isn't run or it doesn't work.

> Furthermore, I personally am resistant to specifying -ls for all Debian
> window managers because:
>
> * it would be disruptive to the expectations of users who have gotten
>   used to it not being set

Not a good reason. Now it's disruptive to the expectations of users who
don't want to get used to buggy behaviour.

> * I'm not sure all x-terminal-emulator packages support "-ls".

It doesn't have to be the -ls switch.  I'd be happy with any decent
solution ensuring that terminal emlators invoke shells in a way that
startup files for interactive shells are read, if they are used to run
interactive shells.