Re: Linux Fonts

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:26:33AM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> But am I allowed to write my own license and copy there verbatim
> (maybe a bit modified) pieces of GPL? (something which I already
> did once). That's the question that really interests me...

This might depend on where you live.  At least in the USA, as far as
I know, the actual license terms of the GPL are not copyrighted, because
they are words with "legal effect".  So as long as you stay away from
the preamble and the examples, it should be fine.

(In other words, because you cannot write a license that does exactly
the same thing without using exactly the same words, copyright does
not apply.  Copyright only applies to works where there is room for
creative expression.)

However, I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on IRC.

Richard Braakman