Re: Linux Fonts

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 04:47:08PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > Except that the GPL itself says:
> >
> >  Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
> >  of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
> >
> > Oops.
>
> so the GPL text itself is not DFSG compliant?
> Oops.

This is a FAQ, sortof.  No the GPL is not itself DFSG-compliant, but also
no it does not have to be because it never could be in any meaningful
context.  Because it's a license document, you as not the Copyright holder
_cannot_ modify it without being in violation of Copyright laws dictated
by international treaties.  Since the software cannot be distributed
without its license, we're stuck here.  Most licenses have themselves no
license of their own, meaning you have no rights whatsoever.  The GPL is
an exception in that it grants right to distribute it beyond GNU programs
using it (and license your own stuff under it.

The reason for not allowing modifications is clear: The FSF does not want
the kind of dillusion which accompanies "BSD license", which can be
intended to mean everything from a MIT license to an X11 license to a
FreeBSD license to an original BSD license.  All very different, all have
different language and different restrictions.  Yet because they happen to
be very similar, and because many of them share root of the BSD license,
they tend to get lumped together.  How many different variants of the GPL
do you want to sift through, given the compatibility issues which already
exist between the canonical version and otherly licensed software?

Whether or not the text of the GPL should be modifyable to make other
non-GPL licenses or not is irrelivant since you're free to interpret the
license and write it out in your own words for your software, IMO.  This
is not at all like writing code.  If you want to fight this battle, have
fun doing so, but you're not likely to see the support of the project
behind you doing it.  Certainly you've not got mine.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>            What're you looking at?

<cj> no!  problems in M$ software?
<cj> "Thoroughly bugtested"
* Dabb grins.
<LordHavoc> rewrite that as 'Thoroughly buginfested'