Re: Linux Fonts

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 07:13:36PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > > If you want your font to be "freely sellable", you probably should use a
> > > BSD Style licence, as the GPL enforces that it can be distributed free of
> > > charge.
> >
> > Copies of GPLd works are "freely sellable".  Please re-read the GPL.
>
> "Freely sellable" in the sense of making a complete commercial product
> of it is not possible, like Apple did for Mac OS X, is it?
>
> So you are NOT sold the intellectual property rights of the font.
> The licence to use them can of course be sold, if you are willing to pay
> for something you can get for free as well. ;)

Actually, Apple could create a complete commercial product which includes
GPLed material, as long as it is just part of an "aggregate work".  For
example, I doubt they could sell a non-GPLed font derived from a GPLed one,
but they could certainly distribute a GPLed font with OS X.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/