Re: [Evms-devel] [ANNOUNCE] EVMS Release 1.1.0-pre4

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 02:15:11PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 06-Jul-02, 13:30 (CDT), Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> > Debian packages for EVMS 1.1.0-pre4 are now prepared for Debian
> > experimental, and should be available from the mirrors tomorrow.
> >
> > The impatient can get them here:
> >
> > deb http://people.debian.org/~mdz/evms ./
> > deb-src http://people.debian.org/~mdz/evms ./
> >
> > I have tested these packages on my system and they work for me, but that is
> > all that I can say at this time.  If you try these packages, let me know how
> > they work for you.
>
> All of which reminds me...can/would somebody explain the
> difference/relationship between (LVM/LVM2) and EVMS? Or point me at the
> appropriate URL? Based on the EVMS site, it seems that EVMS is not a
> volume manager per-se, but provides an API to various VM-type services.
> Is that correct?

LVM2 takes a new approach to volume management in that the kernel driver is kept
a thin as possible and just provides device-mapping facilities (that's why it's
called device-mapper) and pushes all policy and volume management into
userspace. That way the kernel bloat is kept to to a minimum.

I think the one advantage EVMS has over LVM (1&2) - apart from support for
other volume manager metadata - is that it can do in kernel(therefor boot-time)
recognition of volumes. This is now a goal for LVM2 because Linux 2.5 is moving
away from that anyway. Even partition table recogniton will be in userspace in
Linux 2.6 so there seems little point in filling the kernel with more code that
will not be needed and that can be done better in userspace.

LVM2 is backward compatible with LVM1 and device-mapper very likely be included in
Linux 2.5 (as a replacement for LVM1) - in fact we are pushing quite hard to get
it into Linux 2.4 too.

patrick