Re: Paper on init scripts and Debian (debconf2)

In article <[🔎] 20020704091247.GF12377@wiggy.net>,
Wichert Akkerman  <wichert@wiggy.net> wrote:
>Previously Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> I don't see why not. However 'initscripts-base' would be an essential
>> and required package, and dpkg doesn't like removing such a package
>> or replacing it with another one .. that's going to be the hard part.
>
>Why not use a virtual package (initscripts or so) on which an essential
>package (like sysvinit) depends? That way you can easily replace the
>initscripts.

Ah, so

sysvinit-bin Depends: initscripts-base

initscripts-sysvinit: Provides: initscripts-base
initscripts-bsd: Provides: initscripts-base

What was the official procedure again to register virtual packages?

Mike.