Re: Proposal: New /etc/alternatives/www-browser*

Hello Developers,

I start a thread on a similar topic one year ago
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200104/msg00300.html>
the most enlightening answer was
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200104/msg01071.html>
where Alexander Hvostov wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:59:37 +0200
>Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
>
>> There is a MIME type text/html but it is not the same thing.
>> On my debian system (I do not have hundreds of browser installed),
>> only lynx register it, so it does not help.
>>
>> How can we handle "per applications" configuration of mime types  ?
>> Sometimes I want different applications to use different browsers or
>> image viewers.
>>
>> For example I may prefer a small web browser for most time,
>> but need a full-fledged one for things requiring https:, java,
>> etc..., and sometimes prefer a specific program to use a text-mode
>> browser.
>
>x-url/http
>x-url/http-graphics
>x-url/http-java [implies http-graphics]
>x-url/https
>x-url/ftp
>
>Regards,
>
>Alex.

Unfortunately browsers in woody only know about text/html MIME type, at
least lynx, w3m, mozilla, konqueror and skipstone, so it is not currently a
solution, but can become one.

Kind regards,

--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

  FHS 5.3: As of the date of this release of the standard, system crash were
  not supported under Linux.