Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

> Bash and zsh's docs say command will not look at internal functions, but will
> look at shell builtins and external commands.  They say nothing about aliases.
>
> Running command on zsh, ash, bash, and pdksh(ksh) all show them looking at
> aliases.

POSIX doesn't require support for aliases.  However, "command -v alias",
according to User Portability Utilities, is supposed to print the alias
definition and return a success value.  bash and I interpret that
concept differently, but your point still remains; command -v
install-docs will succeed whether install-docs is a binary, a function,
an alias, a builtin, or a reserved word.