Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> This is the best -- no, the only -- idea I've seen so far.
>
> But, debianutils is not essential; anything that did this would need a
> dep on it, or we'd have to make it essential, or require that shells
> that didn't implement which internally depend on debianutils.

Of course, which doesn't handle commands that start with -(see 148178)

However, there's one thing that is being overlooked.

Bash and zsh's docs say command will not look at internal functions, but will
look at shell builtins and external commands.  They say nothing about aliases.

Running command on zsh, ash, bash, and pdksh(ksh) all show them looking at
aliases.

The question then becomes whether this is desired behavior in maintainer
scripts, and for debhelper's use.  My guess is that this isn't desired, so,
that which should be a good replacement.